What are your top ten favourite words?
I am always copying definitions into my journal. Sometimes they are words I haven’t seen before from books I’m reading, sometimes they are interesting or funny/ironic definitions from the web. Here are some of my favorites:
- Retrouvaille: (n.) the joy of meeting or finding someone again after a long separation; rediscovery
- Fernweh: (German) an ache for distant places, the craving for travel; wanderlust
- Contimacious: stubbornly or willfully disobedient to authority
- Eutony: (n.) the pleasantness of a word’s sound
- Hamartia: the flaw in character which leads to the downfall of the protagonist in a tragedy
- Natsukashii: (Japanese)(adj.) of some small thing that brings you suddenly, joyously back to fond memories, not with a wistful longing, but with an appreciation of the good times.
- Tesseract: Wormhole/wrinkle in time
- Buttload: medieval unit of measure for wine. 475 liters/126 gallons/53 twelve bottle cases/636 bottles/3,000 glasses.
- Sonder: (n.) the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own–populated with their own ambitions, friends, routines, worries, and inherited craziness–an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you’ll never know existed, in which you might appear only once, as an extra sipping coffee, in the background as a blur of traffic passing, on the highway, as a lighted window at dusk.
- Concupiscence: Strong sexual desire; lust